Global sustainability is the mantra of the day. In a world peopled with nations of diversified languages, languages play a significant role in the achievement of virtually all the Sustainable development goals (SDGs)- from quality education to healthy living, promotion of peace and inclusive societies, industrialization and innovations, implementation and revitalization of global partnership and others for the purpose of world transformation.
It is noted that language and linguistic diversity allow transmission of knowledge from one generation to the next, including through the application of Information and Communication technology. However, the threat of rapid language loss, calls for concerted efforts to find ways to sustain linguistic diversity and promote language inclusion.
MAAL invites academics, policy and decision-makers, politicians, intergovernmental organisations, experts, civil society and the public at large to our first MAAL APC 2022 to share theoretical and empirical findings as well as build thought leadership on language and sustainable development.
The symposium seeks to create practical solutions for language protection and revitalization and to create a large-scale opportunity for international cooperation to identify specific strategies for language inclusion. The ultimate aim is to ensure no one is deprived of development due to language exclusion.
Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching and Learning
- Language Teaching and Learning
- Innovation in language teaching and learning
- Foreign language teaching and applied linguistics
- Language in Education, Language for Academic Purposes
- Literature in language teaching and learning
- Reading, Writing and Literacy
- Second Language Acquisition, Language Acquisition and Attrition
- Teacher Education and Teaching Practices
- Intercultural education
Applied Linguistics, Discourse studies and Professional Communication
- Language in the Workplace
- Language for Specific and Vocational Purposes
- Applied linguistics and cross-cultural communication
- Language and Law
- Language and Ideology
- Language and Identity
- Discourse analysis
- Written, spoken and multimodal text
- Cross-cultural/intercultural communication
- Critical discourse analysis
- Genre analysis
- Digital media
Bilingualism and Multilingualism
- Multilingualism and Multiliteracies
- Bilingual education in practice
- Language, Culture and Socialisation
- Interdisciplinary perspectives on multilingualism